Music, puppets, yoga and more at second annual LUNGS gardens festival
LUNGS (Loisaida United Neighborhood Gardens) is holding its second annual Harvest Arts Festival in the Gardens at the end of the month.
LUNGS was founded in spring 2012 by longtime East Village resident and gardener Charles Krezell, who is associated with De Colores Garden on E. Eighth St.
Within months, he united most area gardens around the concept of “local garden power” (many local gardeners belong to citywide garden coalitions) and by fall 2012, they had organized enough to hold their first annual LUNGS Harvest Arts Festival in the Gardens, which they funded through Kickstarter.
Last year 24 gardens participated. This year, 32 are participating. For more, check out LUNG’s info on the festival, below:
LUNGS (Loisaida United Neighborhood Gardens)
SECOND ANNUAL HARVEST ARTS FESTIVAL IN THE GARDENS
Saturday, September 28 & Sunday, September 29, 2013
32 Community Gardens Across Loisaida / The East Village / The Lower East Side / The Village
WHAT TO EXPECT
- A free, multidimensional arts festival that reflects the creative spirit of the neighborhood and the integral part that community gardens play in the culture and life of Loisaida.
- Scheduled events include music, dance, performance, films, photography, puppets, environmental workshops, yoga. Each garden is designing its own program, so we know it will be interesting.
- In addition, The Communal Spaces Play Festival, five 30-minute plays inspired by the selected garden landscapes, will wrap up its three-week run during the Harvest Arts Fest.
WHERE TO GO
- Dias y Flores Garden, 13th St (B & C)
- El Sol Brillante, 12th St (A & B)
- Children’s Garden, 12th St (Ave B)
- Campos Gardens, 12th St (B & C)
- 11th Street Community Garden, 11th St (1st & A)
- 11BC Garden, 11th St (B & C)
- Toyota Children’s Garden, 11th St (B & C)
- 9C Garden, Ave C (9th St)
- La Plaza Cultural, Ave C (9th St)
- DeColores Community Garden, 8th St (B & C)
- Earth People Garden, 8th St (B & C)
- Firemen’s Garden, 8th St (C & D)
- Green Oasis and Gilbert’s Sculpture Garden, 8th St (C & D)
- Creative Little Garden, 6th St (A & B)
- 6B Garden, Ave B (6th St)
- 6BC Botanical Garden, 6th St (B & C)
- Generation X, 4th St (A & B)
- Secret Garden, 4th St (Ave C)
- Parque de Tranquilidad, 4th St (C & D)
- El Jardin del Paraiso, 4th St (C & D)
- Orchard Alley, 4th St (C & D)
- Miracle Garden, 3rd St (A & B)
- All People’s Garden, 3rd St (C & D)
- Kenkeleba House Garden, 2nd St (B & C)
- Peachtree Garden, 2nd St (B & C)
- Le Petit Versailles, 2nd St (B & C)
- Albert’s Garden, 2nd St (Bowery & 2nd Ave)
- Liz Christy Garden, Houston (Bowery & Stanton)
- Children’s Magical Garden, Norfolk & Stanton
- Siempre Verde, Stanton St (Clinton & Attorney)
- M’Finda Kalunga Garden, Delancey & Chrystie
- LaGuardia Corner Gardens, LaGuardia Pl (Bleecker & Houston)
NEED TO KNOW MORE?
Press, performers, painters, philanthropists. Email info@LUNGSnyc.org
Event hashtag #lungsnyc